Wednesday, September 19, 2007

My portfolio

There's a scene in one of my favorite movies, Doc Hollywood (ok, call me a dork and get it over with), where the old doctor is sitting in his small and simple office, dispensing wisdom on the new hotshot doc, played by Michael J. Fox, a young guy fresh out of med school and destined for the big bucks of plastic surgery in California. He wants no part of the small town, small paycheck life his unlikely mentor is selling.

The old doctor then opens up a set of cabinet doors to reveal an overflowing collection of more than 700 photographs tacked inside. As the young Doc looks at the images of old doc delivering babies, saving lives, repairing broken arms, and bandaging up cat scratches, the old doc describes how his life has been made full by playing a part in the lives of nearly every person in this small southern town. He glances at the giant collage of his life and says, 'This is pretty much my portfolio, Doc. I live in an old house, and drive an old car. And I wouldn't trade any of them for gold.' Granted, serving up ice cream and gummy bears may not be saving lives, but I like to think it does make people smile from time to time. And you just can't put a price on that...

No comments: