Tuesday, September 11, 2007

How I start my day.

There's always a ton of stuff to do before I open up shop every day - sweep, put out the chairs and tables, take the covers off the ice cream, turn on all the warmers, clean the bathroom (yes, being CEO of your own little corporation isn't all glitze and glamour), and a host of other 'chores'. Most of them I do without even thinking about them, like scratching an itch. There is one check on the setup checklist, though, that does require me to actually flip on my brain. It's when I search for a 'quote of the day' for the little whiteboard behind the cash register. I don't know how many people actually read it or appreciate it, once in a while someone will thank me for doing it. It's just become one of those little morning exercises that pushes me past all those doomy headlines into more positive territory. Like a good run, a jazzercise class, or a bowl of grapenut ice cream, it's just a better way to start the day than reading about how frightening Britney Spears was on the VMA's the night before. It can be a little tricky to find a quote short enough to fit on the board, but that just means more time wading around in affirmations and positive thoughts from famous, infamous, and influential people. Hard to complain about that.

No comments: