Wednesday, September 23, 2009

53 Things I've Learned about Life.


A friend forwarded me one of those emails that people feel inclined to send to everyone they know. You know the ones I'm talking about - a barely funny joke, a slideshow with quotes and pretty pictures, a warning about the latest killer virus. Once in a while one is actually worth reading, and dare I suggest, forwarding to your own circle of cyber-friends. You may have seen this one, but in case you haven't here it is. It's a list of 'life lessons' Plains Dealer columnist Regina Brett, 90, from Cleveland, Ohio. It's a great little list, and I guess this is my version of sending it to all my cyber-friends, but rather than just forward it, I chose to take inspiration from it too.

As soon as I read Regina's list, I thought to myself, 'I need to write my list'. Having spent a good deal of time in my head and buried in the occasional self-help book, not to mention having penned a little something on the topic a few years back, I was quickly consumed by the challenge. I realize I could have spent a year on such a list, but I decided to just carry a little notebook around for a few days, and when something popped into my head, I'd jot it down. I suspect this may not be the 'be-all, end-all' for my life tips list, but I feel like it's a pretty good start.

Since 53 is the number of flavors I have here at the scoop shop, I thought that might be a good number to shoot for. As for whether I'm qualified to dispense such advice on life, I'm surely not, but in the interest of #15, I'm going to do it anyway. Thanks for indulging me. And apologies in advance to anyone who may have already said something that sounded like one of these.


53 Things I’ve learned about life.

  1. Try not to think about what you DON’T want, just about what you DO want. The universe is way too literal.


  2. Self-confidence beats a full house every time.


  3. You get what you give.


  4. It’s easier to stay in shape than to get in shape.


  5. Don’t worry about what others are thinking. They’re probably thinking about themselves anyway.


  6. When in doubt, just go. You rarely regret the opportunities you seized.


  7. Try not to beat yourself up too much. Forgive, forget, move forward.


  8. When you reminisce, focus on the good stuff.


  9. Spend your time wisely, for time gives no refunds.


  10. Turn off the news.


  11. It’s the little things in your relationship you’ll miss most when they’re gone.


  12. It’s never too late to be what you always wanted to be.


  13. Never stop learning.


  14. If the decision brings you peace, it’s the right decision.


  15. Don’t die with the music still in you.


  16. Live a healthy lifestyle, but don’t obsess about it.


  17. Be good to your body now, and it’ll be good to you later.


  18. Take pride in your accomplishments. All of them.


  19. Learn to cook one great dish.


  20. Live below your means.


  21. Once in a while, however, live above your means, but just for a day or a week, maybe two.


  22. Live your life in harmony. Harmony – when what you think, feel, say, and do are four and the same.


  23. See the world.


  24. Discover your purpose and your passions, and pursue them vigorously.


  25. Nobody likes an Eeyore.


  26. This too shall pass. Good and bad just the same.


  27. Keep a journal, but in a safe place.


  28. Live in the moment, but feel free to take a few pictures.


  29. Love only hurts when you withhold it.


  30. Don’t smoke. Medical opinion on stuff often changes, but it’s safe to say this one will always be bad for you.


  31. Stop blaming your parents. They did the best they could with what they had.


  32. Apply sunscreen daily and liberally.


  33. Don’t be afraid to lean on your friends. It’s in their job description. And yours.


  34. Breathe deeply.


  35. Lighten up a little more, and laugh a lot more.


  36. Hustle.


  37. Go to the gym, especially when you don’t feel like it.


  38. Figure out what the right amount of sleep is for you, and try to get it nightly.


  39. Make the world a better place just by having been.


  40. Pain now or pain later.


  41. Everything works out the way it’s supposed to.


  42. Hope for world peace, but strive for inner peace.


  43. The quality of your life lies in the quality of your relationships.


  44. Buy the best you can afford. It’s probably still cheaper than buying another one in six months.


  45. Try not to stress over the stuff you can’t control - like the weather, chemistry, wrinkles, and the stock market.


  46. Take a genuine interest in people, and they will want to be around you.


  47. The fear goes away a little bit every time you do something you’re afraid of.


  48. You attract what you are, not necessarily what you want.


  49. Be grateful, generous, and humble.


  50. Find a job you enjoy. You spend too much of your waking life there to have it any other way.


  51. Try not to take it too personally. Their reaction likely has more to do with them than you.


  52. The answers to most of your life’s questions are already inside you. I probably should have said that one first.


  53. Do as I say, not as I do.


Enjoy your day. Jim.

1 comment:

Andréa Amaral said...

I've heard and read many of them before...but it's never unworthy doing it all over again. I like your ice cream flavours.