Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Nothing but Parades.

Last night was Easthampton's annual rag shag parade. It's a wandering mass of costumed kids along with costumed and un-costumed parents making their way down Cottage Street. Seems that part of the tradition is for local business shopkeeps on the main streets to throw candy from their respective sidewalks. It's actually very cool - one of those annual events that makes small towns great.
Since my ice cream shop is also a candy store, it was pretty much a given from Halloween one I'd be hurling candy on those nights. It passes by in about ten minutes, but not before I've emptied a five gallon bucket of candy. What starts as a 'shower the crowd with candy' approach, quickly turns into a hundred-little-hands-in-your-bucket, trick-o-treat-like frenzy. Some awesome costumes in a sea of smiling faces. Hope you got to participate or at least check it out.

Speaking of parades and seas of smiling faces, how cool would it have been to go to the Red Sox victory parade/Riverdance-a-thon today.
When I lived in Boston before I moved here, I got to go to a couple of the Patriots rolling victory parades. It's definitely an unforgettable event. You just can't believe how many people can fit into those two hundred year old Boston streets. It's almost scary at times, like being packed into an overflowing subway car on the Green line to Kenmore before a Sox game. All claustrophobia aside, it's a euphoric experience. Didn't get to go this year, but it sure was a beautiful day for it. I guess I'll just have to settle for my sweet new memories of champagne victory showers and high fives at the Brass Cat after each series winning game. Has it ever been a better time to be a fan in Boston. Nope, I don't think so. Great things come to those who are willing to wait. We wait no more...
Go Pats!

No comments: