Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Cell Project.

Right around this time of year, I get a bunch of kids who come into the shop looking for candy. This group isn't the usual 'fill a bag with all your favorites...gummy teeth, lego blox, airheads, and Pop Rocks' type. Seems there's a local schoolteacher who has come up with an interesting way to teach her class what's in a cell. Their assignment - build a model of a cell using edible products (I don't know if the teacher specifically says 'candy', but one rule is it must last three days unrefridgerated). So for a couple days every year, I see a number of kids in the shop, assignment tucked under their arm, dilligently hunting through the jars for all the essential elements of their model cell. It's fun to watch. I don't want to give away too much, in case there are kids out there still coming up with their incredible edible cells, but I will say that the giant jawbreakers have been a big seller this week. Why didn't I get cool projects like this when I was a kid? All we ever did was boil stuff with bunsen burners...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually did this one year as a science project in sixth grade. I wish I could say it was an original idea, but my sister had done it the year before or something. I don't remember everything, but I do know that the filling was made of Jell-O (which wouldn't withstand the 3-day survival rule nowadays), and the outer lining was licorice...I think I used a peanut butter cup as the nucleaus. It was fun!