Monday, August 03, 2009

Pond Surveying & Stalking the Blue Heron.

In case you were wondering why the pond is so high right now (aside from all the rain we've been getting)...


An Army Corp of Engineers survey boat, out this morning, doing its thing.

With the water level so high, and a stellar morning of weather on tap, I took it as an opportunity to drop the kayak into the pond for a little pre-work paddle. Of course, I brought the camera...



In case I came across interesting things, like spider webs...


Sunning sun turtles...


And the prized Blue Heron...


I was a total heron stalker this morning...


This guy was I'm sure pretty annoyed with me by the end of my paddle...



With the water level so high, the Nashawannuck Pond looks almost like a Nashawannuck Lake...


With watersports and everything...



Hey, you never know.

Not sure when the dredging will actually begin, but just in case the water level starts dropping, I was happy to get in one good last spin around the pond today. The water was roaring over the spillway this morning, so we'll see...

In any event, hope you get out to enjoy this fine day. If you're stuck at the office still, feel free to click on an image above and make pretent it's a sunny Sunday afternoon...

And you've got an ice cream cone in your hand, naturally.

No comments: