Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Staying Cool, Chasing Sunset, & Call to Artists.

After sweltering it out during this first real blast of summer heat these past few days, it became clear the shop's center A.C. unit, the workhorse, just wasn't going to make the cut. I never considered a big window AC as a disposable thing, but between the size of the shop, the people, the heat thrown off by all the freezers, and the door constantly opening and closing, 3 12K window AC's just are no match for those 85+ degree and humid days. And after blowing warm air at us during the hotest times of the day these past few, it became clear today that one of us had to go.


I went.


To Sears for a bigger hunkin' AC. Thanks to Dad for the assist on installing this 100 pound gorilla. Er, polar bear.


Moving right along, anyone recognize this?...






Have always been intrigued by this tattered facade (can you call it a facade if it's on the side of a building? sidesade?). Someday, I'll get a good image of it.


Speaking of images, one night last week I saw a great sunset brewing and was determined to get the shot. I wasn't really up for a twilight climb to the summit of Mt. Tom, followed by a dark and somewhat scary descent, so I jumped in my truck and set out to find the next best spot for the shot.


After sitting in the Tavern on the Hill parking lot for a while...



I realized, although a great view and a fine waft of some exotic garlic butter sauce eminating from the kitchen just above me, it just wasn't the spot I was looking for. There had to be a better place. So I got back in my truck and headed due west. I quickly realized (once I got to the bottom of Mt. Tom to be exact) that one of the downsides of being landlocked in a generally flat space is you're probably not going to get a good open horizon sunset even if you stand on an empty ice cream mix crate on top of the bed of your truck.


It was fun trying though. Ok, it was a little frustrating, and probably slightly dangerous, since my best view of the sunset was whilst driving down Cottage Street...

I was actually stopped for this one, a little safer...



Where did I end up for this beautiful sunset you wonder?

Why, across from the Tractor Supply store, of course. Ok, it's not Montery Bay, but you gotta give me points for trying...




One last item of note, I'm looking for artists to show their work on the walls of Mt. Tom's during the next few artwalks (and throughout that month). If you or anyone you know is interested, drop a line or stop in. It's free (I don't even take commissions if you sell anything!), and the shop is still bustling, so it'll definitely get seen.


Stay cool.
And if you're not, Sears still had 5 of those 15K BTU AC's left this afternoon...

No comments: