Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Arcadia Solstice Celebration.

In case you weren't able to partake in Arcadia Nature Center's annual winter solstice celebration last night, I thought I'd share a few images. A little nippy, but still a beautiful night for it. Crisp and clear, with a small crescent moon and stars everywhere. After parking your car in the very dark field at the entrance, it's a cool (and cold) luminary-guided walk to the fire. The event started with various nature history readings and songs. I'm not sure who was singing or what exactly it was they were singing about, but it was beautiful and had a bit of a new-agey feel, enhanced by the fact that we were standing in a dark field in the woods under the stars along with a couple hundred strangers and friends.

The ceremony/performance part was interesting, but the natives, a.k.a. kiddos, started getting restless about a half hour in, chanting 'light the fire. light the fire.' I must admit, I was silently chanting this too.

To most everyone's relief, that happened just a few minutes later. It took a little while for it to get roaring, but once it did, thanks to a howling wind, this fire rocked...



My fearless friend Mary, while the rest of us were another 15 feet back, still warm as toast from this big blaze...





Mary's friend popping in to make sure she was staying hydrated...





This fire definitely would have cooked up a ton of marshmallows, but I think it was just a little too hot. I guess if you had a really long stick...





One last shot as I was walking back to my truck. Note the moon in the top left...



Hope your holiday parties, plans, baking, wrapping, shopping, and other adventures are all falling into place nicely for you.

No comments: