Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Unobstructed Views.


I finally 'made' time this morning to drag my kayak out of my apartment, down the flight of stairs and the steep hill and into the pond in my backyard. My main movitation was to get some fresh air and nature and sunshine on a beautiful morning. It was early enough to hope for a glimpse or two of some wildlife. Perhaps a few box turtles lounging on a log. Or those nine ducklings and their folks that people keep claiming to have seen. I really hoped I'd catch a photo opp. of the big blue heron that often lurks among the Nashawannuck. As luck would have it, I got all that and a little bit more. Unfortunately, Mr. Heron flew into the bright sky as I was shooting (with a camera of course) which wreaked havoc on the light settings of my camera. As you'll see below, I did my best with Photoshop to salvage what could have been an amazing shot, but unfortunately, the quality suffers from the lighting adjustments I made. It does give a feel for the span of this majestic bird, though. It's only June, so I'm sure I'll get another chance.
My other motivation for getting in the kayak today was to get some 'unobstructed' views of one of my favorite subjects - Mt. Tom. The flag is cool, in a patriotic way, but it definitely changes the composition.

Gone fishing...

Here's that heron... (tip: Click on the image for a full-size version)...
And to end this little pho-tog blog, here's one from a couple days ago. Right after one of those torrential downpours/thunderstorms we seem to be getting every afternoon. As you can see, it's hard for your eyes not to be drawn to the flag...

No comments: