Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Cottage Street.

A few years ago, a friend from a neighbor business gave me a whole stack of cool old postcards from Easthampton. This is one of my favorites. Cottage Street, Easthampton, MA circa early 1900's (sorry I can't get more specific than that). I think my shop space (far right in the white building) housed a dry goods store at this slice in time. You could buy buttons, fabric, etc. for making clothes. I don't know the name of that store. A number of businesses have occupied this space since. Welch's Cleaners was here for 57 years. A funeral parlor. A sign shop. I'm sure there have been more. If you know any history of this building, be cool to hear about it. And if anyone has an old photo of the place, inside or out, that would be even better.

As you can see in the photo, there was another brick building right next to our white brick one. That one burned to the ground many years ago. How this building was spared, I have no idea.

It always fascinates me to think that we were riding around in horse-drawn carriages merely one generation ago. Makes you wonder what the next generation will think when they look back at us in our gas-powered Honda Civics.

I'll try to post more old postcards over the next few days...

No comments: