Monday, July 23, 2007

Strawberry Ice Cream at Mountain View Farm



Yesterday, I went to a Strawberry Festival at the MountainView Farm , formally Ole' Turtle Farm. Mountain View Farm is a CSA (community supported agriculture) farm. People buy shares and are rewarded with a weekly plethora (cornucopia optional) of fresh, chemical-free veg - from swiss chard to tomatoes to fresh cut flowers (those you have to pick yourself) to all your favorite herbs. It's a pretty great deal all around, and you don't even have to weed. Unless of course, you want to.
I was approached a few months ago and asked if I would whip up a couple tubs of strawberry ice cream for them, they'd provide the fresh strawberries, for their first annual Strawberry Festival. I said sure and instructed them to slice them up, add some sugar (4+1 to be exact), and just freeze them up until a few days before the event. The event was this past weekend. I got a chance to bike down there to check out the festivities. It was the first time I'd been there. Really beautiful. Great view of Mt. Tom. My friend Kim gave me a tour of the fields. Here's a shot from the flower garden...



The strawberry ice cream seemed to be a hit. It was gone halfway thru the event. Kim dropped by the shop midafternoon to grab an extra tub of vanilla to keep the crowd happy. It was pretty cool. People lounging on the edge of the field, under the trees. Kids frolicking. Guy playing a guitar and singing. Glad I stopped by...

No comments: